[compiz] Focus behavior

Jesper Andersen jespera at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 01:45:38 PDT 2007

Hi all fellow compiz'es

I am using compiz-0.5.2. I have disabled "Click to focus". Generally, I
like the way compiz handles focus of windows. I have one outstanding
issue though:

Suppose I have different viewports and two windows in the first that are
placed next to each other. I then switch to the second viewport. For
some reason I now wish activate the left-most window on the first
viewport (I can do this with the switcher, scale). The viewport changes
as usual. Suppose further that the mouse is actually hovering above the
right-most or simply not hovering over the left-most window. Initially
focus is at the left-most window (the one I manually selected), but
quickly focus changes to the right-most. However, if prior to switching
from the first viewport I manually focus the desktop (I am using Gnome)
thus removing focus from both windows, the behavior of quickly switching
focus does not appear. I sort of have to switch focus between the two
windows a couple of times before switching to the second viewport,
before the quickly changing focus behavior behavior can be observed.

In a sense the behavior could be expected (as I have disabled "click to
focus", but one could argue that me manually selecting a window should
override the default behavior of focus follows mouse.

At some point I raised this issue before and then somehow it was
resolved. I am not sure when I noticed it again, but it certainly is
more tricky to run into now.

Thanks,
Jesper