[compiz] keybindings patch, gnome-keybinding-bridge and vignettes plugins

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Tue Feb 6 17:19:06 PST 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 22:54 +0100, gandalfn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> For ubuntu specs and for a better desktop integration of compiz, I made
> some patchs and plugins.
>
> Focus prevention is now in main stream, and really better can i made :)
>
> First the workspace and terminal keybinding patch. Since my last email I
> updated the patch.
> http://gandalfn.club.fr/ubuntu/compiz-patch/91-workspaces-terminal-keybindings.patch
> It adds the support for vertical workspaces. If you want i re-split
> them, say me.

Please do that unless you plan do update the patch again before
recommend that I include it.

> You can found all patchs, which included in ubuntu feisty package here :
> http://gandalfn.club.fr/ubuntu/index.php?dir=compiz-patch%2F
> Some of them are only for ubuntu. I also modified de main stream restart
> patch, to restart compiz only if it's the current window manager :
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/80764

> Now gnome-keybinding-bridge plugin is avaible on git.compiz.org repos
> (Thanks David). You get it like this :
> git clone http://git.compiz.org/compiz/plugins/gnome-keybinding-bridge
>
> If you have improvements or patchs for it, you can post them here, it's
> with pleasure i'll integrate them.
>
> To finish, I also have made a small plugin: “vignettes”, based on
> miniwin and switcher plugin.
> http://gandalfn.club.fr/ubuntu/vignettes/vignettes-0.0.1.tar.gz
>
> This plugin can create clone window and destroy them with dbus.
> You can create a mini clone window like this:
> dbus-send --type=method_call  --dest=org.freedesktop.compiz \
> /org/freedesktop/compiz/vignettes/allscreens/create \
> org.freedesktop.compiz.activate :window int32:<window xid to clone> \
> :x int32:<optional clone window x position> \
> :y int32:<optional clone window y position> \
> :width int32:<optional clone window width position> \
> :height int32:<optional clone window height position>
>
> you can close the clone window like this :
> dbus-send --type=method_call  --dest=org.freedesktop.compiz \
> /org/freedesktop/compiz/vignettes/allscreens/release \
> org.freedesktop.compiz.activate :window int32:<cloned window xid>
>
> To illustrate the plugin use, I hacked GNOME applet window list, to have
> an thumbnail plugin equivalent.
> http://gandalfn.club.fr/ubuntu/vignettes/vignettes-applets-0.0.1.tar.gz
>
> "Vignettes" plugin manages also minimized windows, instead save the
> thumbnail in the core, I map simply the original window outer the
> visible space during clone windows is showed.

I'm a bit concerned about a plugin moving a window like that when it's
minimized. It can definitely cause viewport switching issues. The
input-transform branch that will be available soon is going to provide a
proper way to do this.

- David