[compiz] scaler plugin fixes

Anders Storsveen wakko at generation.no
Tue Feb 20 03:47:37 PST 2007

Hi

I think this is mostly a question of preference for my part, but I
think it would give an overall better quality feel. What I'm talking
about is mostly the movement it uses. As I've come to understand, it
uses velocity and direction, and a target point. This means that it
updates it velocity and direction every X seconds (timestep), and
gives it the possibility to be unaccuarte, like overshoot its goal
and wobble a little. What my issue is though, is that even though you
set timestep very low, it still is a little wobble present. What I
would love would be another movement, like the one that is used in
the animation plugin, where timestep is just how many times to redraw
the animation of it, this makes it 100% accurate all the time, and
makes it seem more professional in my oppinion.

A second smaller issues I have with the scaler is that I have a
feeling that the target point used is a corner and not the center of
the window. or perhaps the center of original sized window, because
the movement has a tendency to go in a curved line. this is hard to
describe, but if you imagine a window attached (in the upper right
corner of the window) to a straight line going from the top left to
the bottom right, and you scale that window while moving it down. it
will go straight when you look at the upper right corner, but curved
when you look at the bottom left. If you attacht the window to the
line via the center, it will always move straight. :)

Hope that explanation was sufficient, and that you see the issues I'm
talking about. My general intentions is making the compiz effects
look more professional, so it could appeal to wider audiences.

-Anders