[compiz] Blur problems

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 12:38:58 PST 2007

David Reveman wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 15:58 +0000, Mike Dransfield wrote:
>
>> I am having a few problems with blur which I notice other people
>> are having too.
>>
>> Focus blur works perfectly (although only with 4xBilinear)
>>

> Using a source blur filter with radius greater than one texel is not
> currently supported as it will not work with the current decoration
> interface but I plan to fix that eventually.

Its not a problem, but its good to know :)
>> When I start blurdemo, that works too.  The problem is that sometimes
>> changing the filter type crashes compiz.  If I run it under a debugger
>> it starts working again.  All the filter types work with blurdemo.
>>

> Any more details you can provide related to this crash would be useful.

I have just been playaing around with the options and
I have managed to replicate something similar.

Unfortunately there is not too much to go on, other than
this error.

compiz: blur: failed to load blur program

I was changing the filter from Mipmap -> Gaussian and
this error appeared, alpha blur did not work until a restart
of Compiz.  The earlier problem pointed out by Ioannis
seems related.  This time it didn't crash, just stopped
working.

>> Blurset also works in that it sets the hint on the window, but the
>> window does not get blurred.  The only applications that work are
>> gnome-terminal and blurdemo.
>>

> Destination blur was only allowed on windows with an alpha channel
> before but I've changed that now.

This works perfectly now, thanks.