[compiz] Flat file backend (ini)

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 08:01:11 PST 2007

I have written an initial flat file configuration
backend for Compiz.  At the moment it is using
FAM for monitoring of files (it can be compiled
without monitoring support for now).

It is working fine but there are a couple of problems.

1. It looks like I should use addFileWatch rather than
directly accessing FAM, is this correct?  I notice dbus
uses addFileWatch rather than (*d->addFileWatch) is
this intentional, and does it get wrapped in the same
way?

2. I cannot see how to work out what the defaults are
so that people can revert to default values.  As far as
I know Compiz does not store the original value so the
only way to revert back when someone deletes a config
file is to reload Compiz.  I could keep the defaults in a
separate system wide file, but that would probably have
problems.  I like having it only rely on user config files.
Would adding some default storage to the core make sense?,
we could then have a dbus method which would revert an
individual value easily.

http://www.anykeysoftware.co.uk/compiz/plugins/ini.c
http://www.anykeysoftware.co.uk/compiz/plugins/Makefile.ini

Any other comments or suggestions are welcome