[compiz] Plugin Dependencies

Ben Reeves zootreeves at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 07:46:04 PST 2007

I'm continuing to work on compiz-settings now. The most common complaintat
the moment is the way it activates plugins, a lot will fail to activate due
to being loaded in the wrong order. At the moment It has a small db of known
plugins and has load_before and load_after for each one, however if a plugin
is unknown it will be loaded last and will fail to activate.

I think it would be much better if every plugin carries it's own
load_before, load_after and depends_on options and the core then decides in
what order to activate the plugins. This would make writing a settings
manager much easier, make it easier to start compiz and save duplicated
effort so that each settings manager doesn't have to do it's own form of
dependency generation. To activate a plugin the settings manager could
simply send a dbus signal activate "cube" and the core would return whether
it has activate any dependencies e.g. activated "rotate" and if plugin
activation was successful or not.

What do you think?

--
Thank you