[compiz] Random freezes when using compiz

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 10:24:13 PST 2007

> Bummer. This just happened again. It looks like something responsible
> for reading inputs is just crashing, as the system is still alive. I
> think I'll fall back to metacity for now.

Have you tried starting compiz with this line?

__GL_YIELD="NOTHING" compiz --replace --indirect-rendering gconf &

The gl yield hack is reported to stop this problem.

The nVidia forum says not to use GL_YIELD with indirect rendering
but it is fairly old and I have better performance with it.  Maybe
someone else knows if it still valid or not.

I see the same problem when I start compiling anything large.
The gl yield hack seems to have fixed it for now.

It is most likely that the problems you see are related to the driver.
It is possible that a plugin is crashing during an action
function but it is less likely and normally you can single it out by
removing any unnecessary plugins.