[compiz] Compiz-sharp bindings

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Wed Jan 3 15:42:46 PST 2007

On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 00:44 +0000, Who wrote:
> I've got a few questions about the use of compiz-sharp:
>
> 1.    Are these bindings supported and updated? (1.a  If not, are
> there plans for this?)

I'm not sure what you mean by supported. I'm not maintaining them but
they're implemented as a plugin and I support all plugins as long as
they are legal (not violating any license or so). I don't know if these
bindings are being updated but I do remember helping out with adjusting
the plugin loading code in compiz core to make it possible to implement
plugin-loader plugins like the one included with compiz-sharp so I know
that the design of this plugin loader is good and it shouldn't require
any changes to the current core to get working.

> 2.    Would being written in compiz-sharp alone be enough to stop a
> plugin from being included in the official package?

No. I'm interested in including the compiz-sharp bindings in the
official repository if someone could get get them up to date and be
willing to help with maintaining them. If the compiz-sharp bindings are
in the repository then there's no reason why we can't include C#
plugins.

> 3.    Do you think it is a good idea to use compiz-sharp for writing a plugin?

Yes, I think it's a good idea to use a higher level language than C for
plugins. A lot of things in compiz core can be made more convenient and
less hard to understand when wrapped in a language like C#.

> The details of the project are here:
>
> http://www.ndesk.org/CompizSharp
>
> but as far as I can see, nothing has been checked into the git tree
> since August.

Anyone interested in helping out with these bindings should contact Alp
Toker <alp at atoker.com> who wrote them.