[compiz] [non glx_ftp method support in compiz]

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Fri Jan 5 18:29:52 PST 2007

On 1/5/07, Вамненадознать Иэтотоже <perunosx at mail.ru> wrote:
> I'm currently using r300_dri driver (R9600 card).
> Compiz use glx_ftp and AIGLX(7.2RC2) unstable with it, it's result in system hardlock very often.
> Just trued veryl with --use-copy option, and it's very stable for me now.
> So nonftp method support in compiz would be very desirable.

The right way to fix this is to figure out why it locks up and fix
that problem.  The texture_from_pixmap extension was designed to not
have to copy window contents between server and compositor and if
something breaks in that code path we need to fix it, not paper over
it.

It would be great if you could help track down these lock ups.  The
best way to debug this is to use a second computer and then log in to
your primary machine.  Then run the X server under gdb (this doesn't
always work, but then sometimes you can attach to the running X server
after it's initialized) and when it locks up you can send it a SIGINT
from another remote login from the second machine (Ctrl-C doesn't
always work from gdb).  Once you've done that, typing 'bt' at the gdb
prompt will give you a stack trace that will show us where the X
server is deadlocked.

> Good luck.

And to you too,
Kristian