[compiz] Thumbnail plugin

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Thu Jan 11 08:38:48 PST 2007

David Reveman wrote:

> I suggest that we add a plugin and a simple interface that allows any
> application to request that a set of client windows should be composited
> on top of a different client window.

Its probably a good time to point you in the direction of
the miniwin plugin, in case you are unaware of it :)

http://www.anykeysoftware.co.uk/compiz/plugins/miniwin.tar.gz

It actually creates the window as well as painting a scaled window.
It also handles rotation so may be a good source of code/ideas for
this plugin.

It is a very popular and highly requested feature, people want to
ditch the taskbar and have miniwin manage minimized windows.

On the point of modifying the taskbars to support thumbnailing,
this seems like a good long term goal, but can I request that
something like this is kept around for legacy reasons.

Ubuntu users will likely have first access to modified packages
but it would become a nightmare for support if these modifications
were not accepted upstream to each taskbar (gnome is probably a
given, but I am not too sure if KDE would be willing to accept it
unless it was standardized).

Please think of the KDE using non-ubuntites :)

Regards
Mike