[compiz] "sync request issue"

Ioannis Nousias s0238762 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Thu Jan 18 15:23:00 PST 2007

Ioannis Nousias wrote:
> It seems that the latest updates have "partly" solved the annoying
> nvidia driver bug with black windows (for NV2x cards).
>
> I can simply invoke compiz like that:
> compiz --replace gconf
>
> and everything works fine, no black windows or windows that don't
> update. I say "partly" because performance is sluggish now. Whatever
> these new updates do, they seem to bypass the driver's problem and
> possibly hit a slower rendering path.
>
> it's good that at least it works now in some way. Thanks David, et all
>
> Let's hope nvidia will soon release a drive fix for this annoying bug
> that's been out for ages!
>
> -Ioannis

sorry, I was quick to post before. Invoking compiz like this:
compiz --indirect-rendering --replace gconf

will have all windows displayed properly, but of course you'll get bad
performance. Also I've noticed XV isn't working (mplayer -vo xv). I get
the following error:
X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

Anyway, the "black windows" issue is not a compiz problem but an nvidia
driver one, so ignore this.

Something else I've noticed is that the session management has changed
as well. Now it's more persistent. I've invoked compiz several times
with the --replace option and I ended up having multiple compiz entries
in my session manager. Calling metacity --replace failed as well and I
was back to compiz again.  The --sm-disable works and prevents that from
happening.

-Ioannis