[compiz] keybindings patch, gnome-keybinding-bridge and vignettes plugins

gandalfn gandalfn at club-internet.fr
Sat Jan 27 13:54:29 PST 2007

Hi folks,

For ubuntu specs and for a better desktop integration of compiz, I made
some patchs and plugins.

Focus prevention is now in main stream, and really better can i made :)

First the workspace and terminal keybinding patch. Since my last email I
updated the patch.
http://gandalfn.club.fr/ubuntu/compiz-patch/91-workspaces-terminal-keybindings.patch
It adds the support for vertical workspaces. If you want i re-split
them, say me.

You can found all patchs, which included in ubuntu feisty package here :
http://gandalfn.club.fr/ubuntu/index.php?dir=compiz-patch%2F
Some of them are only for ubuntu. I also modified de main stream restart
patch, to restart compiz only if it's the current window manager :
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/80764

Now gnome-keybinding-bridge plugin is avaible on git.compiz.org repos
(Thanks David). You get it like this :
git clone http://git.compiz.org/compiz/plugins/gnome-keybinding-bridge

If you have improvements or patchs for it, you can post them here, it's
with pleasure i'll integrate them.

To finish, I also have made a small plugin: “vignettes”, based on
miniwin and switcher plugin.
http://gandalfn.club.fr/ubuntu/vignettes/vignettes-0.0.1.tar.gz

This plugin can create clone window and destroy them with dbus.
You can create a mini clone window like this:
dbus-send --type=method_call  --dest=org.freedesktop.compiz \
/org/freedesktop/compiz/vignettes/allscreens/create \
org.freedesktop.compiz.activate :window int32:<window xid to clone> \
:x int32:<optional clone window x position> \
:y int32:<optional clone window y position> \
:width int32:<optional clone window width position> \
:height int32:<optional clone window height position>

you can close the clone window like this :
dbus-send --type=method_call  --dest=org.freedesktop.compiz \
/org/freedesktop/compiz/vignettes/allscreens/release \
org.freedesktop.compiz.activate :window int32:<cloned window xid>

To illustrate the plugin use, I hacked GNOME applet window list, to have
an thumbnail plugin equivalent.
http://gandalfn.club.fr/ubuntu/vignettes/vignettes-applets-0.0.1.tar.gz

"Vignettes" plugin manages also minimized windows, instead save the
thumbnail in the core, I map simply the original window outer the
visible space during clone windows is showed.

You can see here a small video to see vignettes-applet in action:
http://gandalfn.club.fr/ubuntu/vignettes/vignettes-applets-demo.ogg

I made this plugin and applet only to demonstrate dbus interaction with
compiz and without any modification in the core, not for replace
thumbnail plugin ;).

Mike Dransfield also made some interesting stuff on this subject :
http://www.go-compiz.org/index.php?title=Scripting_Compiz

Have fun

gandalfn
--