[compiz] LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 patch fix - any reason why it's not included?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jul 4 09:01:16 PDT 2007

Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 15:04 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> I don't really know enough about how all this works to comment on it, so
>> are you saying that without the ALWAYS_INDIRECT workaround that
>> applications other than compiz will be affected? Or is it that the patch
>> will not work with *all* pure AIGLX implementations (and thus free
>> drivers as you mention above)?
>
> It'll try to use GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap when it doesn't work, e.g.
> when the server supports it but libGL doesn't.

Ahh OK, so this would affect ATi users running under fglrx+Xgl or Older
nvidia users + Xgl then? Does it affect other classes of user too? I
guess I'm asking under what circumstances would the server support it,
but libGL not support it?

I may be completely out of date now, but I was still under the
impression that for when we run compiz under Xgl, we need to issue a bit
of an LD_LIBRARY_PATH hack to run it against Mesa's libGL...

In such scenarios, the libGL /would/ support tfp no?

Thanks for the info, it's very insightful :)

Col