[compiz] Place Windows TwinView Bug

Matthew Simpson graveyardpc at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 15:54:03 PDT 2007

In my current setup, using Compiz Fusion under Ubuntu with TwinView (Xgl w/
Xinerama flag set), I've noticed some strange behavior coming from the Place
Windows plug-in.

First off, under Compiz, windows are placed depending on what screen they're
executed from, i.e. execute gedit from the left monitor and it positions
there, execute it from the right monitor and it positions there
respectively. Now, this behavior wouldn't be undesirable if windows which
remembered their positions weren't effected.

I first noticed this behavior with VLC. Say I execute VLC under a normal
Gnome session (without Compiz) and place it on the right monitor. If I now
close and reopen VLC (from any monitor), its initial position is back where
it was -- on the right monitor. However under Compiz this isn't true. If I
execute VLC, place it on the right monitor, close and reopen from the left,
it's now on the left monitor at the exact Y position I left it, but smack
against the right side of the screen. Although if I execute it from the
right monitor after doing the above, it will stay where it was. This leads
me to believe that the X position is being altered or ignored by the Place
Window plug-in (as per normal behavior). Some might not see this as a bug,
but I sure do.

Original post: http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.php?t=1448