[compiz] F8 desktop features

Sam Spilsbury smspillaz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 16:19:40 PDT 2007

In my honest opinion. CompizConfig Settings Manager is more of an 'advanced'
tool that presents a lot of options that the users dont want to see.
However, it makes Compiz very flexible in what it can do and how it can be
configured. It is also a nice gui-ish replacment for gconf-editor, which can
be a pain to use.

The gnome-xgl-settings and gnome-xgl-switch are perfect for users just
starting out with Compiz. I think that this is the 'simple mode' that we
were after, or at least gandalfn's gnome-compiz-manager. I think that also,
wherever it is appropriate, gnome-xgl-switch should be included in every
compiz-by-default distro, as it makes Xgl a whole lot easier to set up.

So in the end, I think that Compiz Fusion should take up gnome-xgl-settings,
and Distributions like OpenSUSE and Fedora, if they do not ship Compiz
Fusion by default, make it easlily installable.

Sam