[compiz] status of input redirection

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Fri Jun 1 12:47:17 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 13:28 -0400, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> On 5/31/07, David Reveman <davidr at novell.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 08:53 +0200, dragoran wrote:
> > > There where some patches to implement input redirection in xorg a while
> > > ago...
> > > what happend to them? are they still beeing worked on?
> >
> > The attached patches work well. The server patch needs some more work if
> > we want to allow different pickers and I haven't had time to do that
> > yet.
>
> Can we merge the server patch as is and punt on the pluggable picker
> idea for now?  I mean, can we do this in a way that lets the
> interested parties add this support in a second step without breaking
> backwards compatibility?  If that's doable, I don't think we need to
> block on the pluggable picker idea now.

I've attached a new patch with a more appropriate change to
WriteEventsToClient.

I'm OK with merging the patch in it's current state. Pluggable pickers
can definitely be added later without breaking backwards compatibility.

There's a few things that needs to be improved but I think the current
patch is good enough for common use in compositing managers.

TODO:

I've tried to move the event coordinate transformation into
FixUpEventFromWindow, which means making copies of events in a lot of
places as FixUpEventFromWindow is sometimes called multiple times with
the same xEvent. However, I never got that to work correctly and I
haven't had time to figure out exactly why yet.

The pointer grab code might need some more work but the patch should of
course not affect non-transformed input in any way.

I think that transformed input of non top-level windows isn't working
correctly. This should be easy to fix though, I just need to write a
good test app.