[compiz] [RPMS] XGL/Compiz git Fedora packages

Simone Caronni Simone.Caronni at lisit.it
Wed Jun 13 00:13:31 PDT 2007

Hello,

I'm new to the list but I've been following it since its inception.
First of all sorry for the length of this post, if you're not a Fedora
user just skip it.

I've been building Compiz packages since Fedora Core 5 came out (Xgl
only) and updating since then with all the new stuff, AIGLX and
whatever. I use them on a very large range of hardware.

Attached are my source rpm packages built with "NoSource" in the spec
file to make them smaller as I don't have a webspace to host them, to
get the sources just look at the urls in the spec file or the commented
info on how to get them through git.

What do my Compiz packages differ from Fedora ones or the other floating
around the web? I made modifications to better suit my tastes, the
Fedora ones work ok as they are.

1. xorg-x11-server-Xgl

The Xgl server is a snapshot of 070104 and that's the last commit before
the new Mesa (6.5.3+) stuff. It does include the java hacks and all the
fixes for Mesa 6.5.2 straight from the OpenSuse packages and the
"ugly-pattern" patch from the RedHat Xorg server along with the patch to
make it work with SELinux set to "enforcing".

It does also use the %configure macro to get the right compile options
at build time to make it optimised as the rest of the distro.

The README provided in the package is a merge of the OpenSuse one along
some new examples to configure GDM and KDM. It also comes with
descriptions on how to use the Xgl server with Xinerama enabled displays
(I wasn't able to find this info anywhere, so I had to figure it out
myself). A note: if you start it as DISPLAY :0 you don't lose all the
features such as shutdown, hal mounts, etc. for not being on the first
display.

2. libxkbui

This is a small library that's required to build/use Xgl and is missing
from the Fedora repositories.

3. compiz

This one is the git version (0.5.1) and comes with no control panel
(Desktop Effects) as I don't find it useful nor flexible enough.
Different from the Fedora one it comes with KDE support, all the plugins
including ini and fuse, and the ability to start Gnome or KDE with
Compiz from the Session chooser menu in GDM and the java hack to use
along with Xgl patches.

The "Gnome with Compiz" session choosen from GDM starts directly Compiz
including session support, gconf as a configuration backend, the gtk
window decorator and loads all the useful plugins (video, inotify, etc.
are excluded as mostly useless now).

The "KDE with Compiz" session starts directly Compiz, the KDE window
decorator, loads the new ini plugin instead of gconf (so you don't have
a dependency on gnome while using KDE), the DBUS plugin is included for
KDE and same for the other plugins as Gnome.

Both sessions check for Xgl or AIGLX upon starting and pass the correct
options upon what they find to compiz (such as --indirect-rendering) to
avoid configuration headaches, so you don't have to modify the session
scripts if you switch between Xgl and AIGLX.

4. system-config-xselector

I don't remember where I got this originally from, I just modified it a
little as I don't know python. This includes source. It is a small
configuration utility in the likes of the other RedHat/Fedora ones and
allows you to switch between the following options with a click:

  Enable Composite (AIGLX/Nvidia)
  Enable Composite (Xgl)
  Disable Composite

I find it very useful if you have multiple machines with different video
cards and solutions available. For example, for Nvidia cards you can
just choose the first option, while the second one is useful for ATI
owners as it disables AIGLX and the Composite extension in xorg.conf
before adding Xgl as display :0 in GDM.

Remember to issue a "gdm-restart" command as root to reload the X/GDm
configuration.

5. xwinwrap

This one is not included in any package and is great for showing off to
your friends, especially on Xgl. I personally find Xgl (though really
memory hungry) way faster on most machines. And fonts are better too!

Here is the list of rpms you get by building them:

compiz-0.5.1-070612.2.sla.i386.rpm
compiz-debuginfo-0.5.1-070612.2.sla.i386.rpm
compiz-devel-0.5.1-070612.2.sla.i386.rpm
compiz-gtk-0.5.1-070612.2.sla.i386.rpm
compiz-kde-0.5.1-070612.2.sla.i386.rpm
libxkbui-1.0.2-1.sla.i386.rpm
libxkbui-debuginfo-1.0.2-1.sla.i386.rpm
libxkbui-devel-1.0.2-1.sla.i386.rpm
xorg-x11-server-Xgl-0.0.1-070104.6.sla.i386.rpm
xorg-x11-server-Xgl-debuginfo-0.0.1-070104.6.sla.i386.rpm
system-config-xselector-0.1.1-1.sla.noarch.rpm
xwinwrap-061227-1.sla.i386.rpm
xwinwrap-debuginfo-061227-1.sla.i386.rpm

Comments or improvements are welcome.

Regards,
--Simone