[compiz] video plugin?

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Mon Mar 12 05:27:25 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 17:05 +0100, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> On Mar 09, 07 14:20:08 +0100, David Reveman wrote:
> > > Have you mailed this patch to the mplayer mailing list? Though I doubt
> > > they will allow a patch that interferes with the xv output plugin. It
> > > probably should go into a new output plugin.
> >
> > No I haven't mailed it to the mplayer list. I don't think it should be
> > included in it's current state. Yes, it should go into a new plugin but
> > this new plugin should still support xv output as you want to
> > dynamically fall-back to that when the compiz interface isn't available.
> > It should probably go into an xv-compiz output plugin but some code
> > sharing between the existing xv module should probably be done then.
>
> I guess the best thing would be if the new module would call the xv
> plugin dynamically if needed. So the code paths would remain clean.
>
> At least that's what I'll try to do with xine.
>
> David, one more question about this rendering technique (have to admit
> that I haven't looked at the code yet): are overlays still possible,
> that is can I render with standard X / OpenGL calls over an YUV image
> that has been blitted by compiz? That is needed for about all
> on-screen-displays and subtitles, because they are typically rendered in
> different resolutions than the main video.

No that's not possible. The best solution I could think of right now is
to create a top-level ARGB window and position it above your video
window.

We could add another interface for OSD and subtitles but I think we
should just wait until we've got proper retained mode graphics support
in compiz before we add that.

- David