[compiz] White boarders on size 32 shadows. Intel platform only

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Wed May 2 11:22:41 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 17:43 +0800, Sam Spilsbury wrote:
> Recently, I brought up a topic about white boarders being drawn
> instead of shadows in Gnome-Window-Decorator. A patch was made up by
> gandalfn to correct this by making 32 pixel shadows 33 pixels, however
> the patch was not committed because it was a workaround.
>
> This is a huge functional annoyance to us intel users and needs to be
> cured. There are two soultions I can think of:
>
> 1 Get in contact with the X.org i810 team and ask them to correct the
> issue in their driver which does not allow 32 pixel shadows to be
> drawn.
> 2 Allow the user to specify in GConf or something the depth of the
> shadows that GWD creates. Emerald from Beryl currently allows this so
> I don't understand why it would be too hard to implement.
>
> Yes I *know* #2 is more like a workaround but at least it allows the
> user to specify how big they want this shadows to be. (Please dont
> confuse this with X-offset adn Y-Offset).

I did some quick testing and the problem indeed seem to be a driver
issue but I haven't had time to track down exactly what's causing it.
There's nothing we can do until someone have been able to track it down.
You can enter a intel 3d driver bug for this if you want and if we're
lucky someone might be able to help us track this down.

- David