[compiz] Building Compiz

Grant Patterson grantp at vmware.com
Tue May 15 12:08:54 PDT 2007

That did it, thanks!

While I'm at it, I'll say I had some other issues building that I'd already
gotten past. I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything to screw up the permissions,
but I got this:
cursor.c:197: fatal error: opening dependency file .deps/cursor.pp: Permission
denied

And before that, it complained about not being able to find [config.h].in, which
seems like a problem where a script wasn't removing brackets around a variable
when it should. (These configure scripts, autogen, aclocal, etc etc are all
Greek to me.) I copied config.h.in to [config.h].in and it worked fine.

I also had to install moc, which wasn't on the list of packages I'd need, and
needed to symlink it from /usr/bin/ to /bin, as that's where make looked for it.

Now, when I run compiz, it's totally broken. The terminal I run it from says:

compiz: Unable to parse XML metadata from file "core.xml"

And the X server and all the windows (some of which have disappeared or lost
parts of themselves) are totally unresponsive. Any help?

Let me say that I really appreciate what the open source community does. Heck,
without it, I wouldn't have a job! It's the least I can do to contribute some of
my time. However, it doesn't bode well for a project when it's as difficult as
it's been for me to get working. I'm relatively new to Linux (1 year, and my
primary PC is a Mac), but I'm a software developer, and have had problem after
problem getting Compiz's source into my work machine, compiling it, running it.
I know very little about the challenges of distributing a highly configurable
window manager to work with all kinds of Linux flavors, metacity/kde/etc, all
that. But my experience has been a real mess.