[compiz] state plugin

Kresimir Kukulj madmax at iskon.hr
Fri May 18 09:27:18 PDT 2007

Mike Dransfield wrote:
> Kresimir Kukulj wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> I saw that Mike Dransfield tried to port 'state' plugin from beryl.
>>
>> What does it do? It should be able to place windows, based on name,
>> class etc., to specific viewports. I recently converted to compiz window
>> manager from WindowMaker (used it for 8 years), and I miss automatic
>> 'pinning' of specific windows to particular workspace (or viewport in
>> this case).
>>
>> Mike's old port can be found here:
>> http://www.anykeysoftware.co.uk/compiz/plugins/state.tar.gz
>>

> I have updated this now and it should work with current git.
>
>> This is a bit old and does not use new plugin system for options
>> (metadata). I am tyring to see if it could be tweaked to new plugin
>> infrastructure, but it is not trivial (or at least not for me :)).
>>

> The whole state plugin is being replaced by the new advanced
> window matching as well as the winrules plugin.  Winrules does
> not support viewports yet so I have updated this for you.
>
> This plugin will almost certainly be removed at some point.

Thanks, I tried it but plugin has no properties (I ticked checkbox in
ccs-settings).
I see in tarball you have schema file but no xml. Is that problem ?
I use ccp (ccs) as backend, not gconf. Is that my problem?

What is the default/preffered backend ?

ini, gconf or ccs ?

If winrules will get viewport placement support soon (relatively), dont
waste time fixing this old plugin (state) just for me.

Also, nice feature of old beryl's plugin (window states) is so user can
position windows (top-left, bootom-right ... etc) WHERE they should be
on particular viewport. This together with viewport placement will
provide that windows stay on correct desktops and desired location in
viewport on restart. That would be great! Thanks for your effort.

And a small question, I use cube, and use keyboard shortcuts to directly
switch to desired viewport. Cube is rotated and just when it is finished
rotating it does little left/right setting movement. Can that be turned
off ? I would like switching to be as fast as possible. Tried to
accelerate settings but if switching from viewport 7 to 2 cube must
rotate a longer distance and settling (small left/right oscillating)
effect is very noticable.

And finally, is there a way to avoid NVIDIA black bug ? I know that this
is a driver problem (some out of memory condition in driver) but is
there a workaround ? From old beryl forums this combination prevented
black windows:
Don't use COW
Force AIXGL
XGL binding
XGL rendering
That options are from beryl-manager (under advanced beryl options).
Don't know why that combinations prevents black bug but it does.
I did not see noticable performance drop using that combination of settings.
Any suggestion would be welcome.

Regards

Kresimir Kukulj                      madmax at iskon.hr