[compiz] Feature Request

Who mailforwho at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 23 13:36:19 PDT 2007

On 10/19/07, Mark McCarron <markmccarron_itt at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
>  I have been thinking of a new style of interface that could be added to
> Compiz.  Essentially, rather than having a desktop, the user would be
> presented with a space in which to work.  This space would be several meters
> wide in real terms and the user could navigate the space in a similar
> fashion to a 3D game.
>
>  Windows could be grabbed and thrown throughout the space, providing a very
> large workspace.  This would also allow the user to physically arrange
> Windows in the space according to particular tasks or functions.  A simple
> double-click of a Window would cause it to snap into full 2D view were the
> application can be worked upon.

At the last Novel Brainshare Demo David R did of Compiz he was showing
off the tentative input redirection in the X-server by zooming in and
out of apps that were 'scaled' (as per the scale plugin) but leaving
the others scaled

It seemed to me from the way he was demoing that he was hinting at the
idea of having one very large workspace that you can zoom in and out
of - rather than scale the windows of. I think this is similar to what
you are suggesting, but more implementable and perhaps less of a
difficult to grasp shift for new users.

Being able to 'arrange' thumbnails of applications in different areas
of my desktop and then zoom in to that area of the desk while I
actually work with those apps, zooming out again to see an overview of
my desk, before zooming in to another area to work on that app seems
to be an inuitive and productive way to work. David was kind of doing
this at the demo last year. I think the wait is or things like input
redirection being in the xserver.