[compiz] Compiz 0.8 branched

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Dec 10 23:39:46 PST 2008

Kristian Lyngstol wrote:
> I just branched for 0.8, since Danny told me there was no reason not to.
>
> There are still some bugs to work out of course, but since development has
> been quiet lately, I figure it's time to branch so that we can:
>
> 1. Eventually get to the next stable release
> 2. Allow people to work more freely on master
>
> On my personal list of things I want to see working better before a 0.8
> release, I have the crash-on-quit with nVidia. I know there are a couple of
> similarly grievous problems.

I don't know what J. has passed on from the opensuse-factory list, but in the
shake-out of 11.1 bugs that has occurred lately, there were significant
problems with compiz on 11.1. I don't know what the relationship is between the
compiz development going on there (currently 0.7.8) and the development here,
but I had assumed they were pretty much the same with J. just lending an extra
hand to the suse folks.

Nothing has worked with the compiz that includes nomad. I don't understand what
nomad is other than a few brief descriptions of it enabling features for rdp on
linux -- but the down side is it *kills* emerald. Foolish trade-off in my view.

However, the current state of compiz for 11.1 has led to some very interesting
results. If you haven't gotten any bugs from the 11.1 Beta5 and 11.1 RC1
releases, I could pass them along. For instance ksnapshot will capture the
desktop, but if you close it, the following happens:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/openSUSE_11.1/compizcrash-blackcube.jpg

(which took some fancy key strokes in-the-blind to capture)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.      |          openSoftware und SystemEntwicklung
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC           |             Countdown for openSuSE 11.1