[compiz] _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS hint (YAY!!)

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vr at movingparts.net
Mon Dec 22 09:03:50 PST 2008

Hiya Compiz list! I am a Linux UI dude for VMware as my day job and am
working on improving things in Workstation and Player with regards to
multiple monitors on Linux. Some of my colleagues worked with the
xdg/wm-spec folks just earlier this year to get the
_NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS hint into the EWMH spec to address the needs
applications have in needing to be both fullscreen and spanning multiple
monitors at the same time. Previously, we had some hacks to get Window
Managers to do this, but it was fragile and brittle to say the least.
Anyway, _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS is the right solution and is very useful
for client virtualization software such as VMware, and for any other apps
that wish to go fullscreen and span more than one monitor (i.e. video
players, etc.).

Long story short, last Friday, I had just pulled out a git clone of compiz
and was getting ready to start looking at patching
_NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS into Compiz and I discovered that Danny Baumann
had done just that literally the day before. WOOT! Thank you Danny!!!

I spent some time Friday in using the simple test application that David
Trowbridge wrote (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=122703) that
exercises _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS as well as using the multiple monitor
feature of Workstation and things look really good! So I just wanted to
introduce myself, say THANK YOU to Danny for adding the new hint, and see if
there's anything I can do to help with this hint. Also, I'm not quite
familiar with the Compiz release schedule yet... does anyone know what
released Compiz version will have _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS in it and when
that will happen? Is there any chance it can make it into the next released
stable version?

Thanks, all! =:)

--
-[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-