[compiz] [FusionDev] [ANNOUNCE] Compiz feature branch compiz++

CyberOrg jigish.gohil at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 21:34:30 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 6:35 AM, Kristian Lyngstol
<kristian at bohemians.org> wrote:

> I'm really alarmed with how this branch/project evolved, so I'm sceptical.
> Essentially 6 months of development has been poured into a project we're
> not supposed to talk about that changes more or less everything that is
> compiz, and there's been no open discussion along the way. This has been an
> ongoing problem with Compiz for as long as I've been involved, and it has,
> in fact, been the single biggest challenge in working with Compiz. I regret
> to see that you are carrying this tradition on Dennis...

I agree here, putting massive amount of work without involving
everyone is sure way of losing existing developers and not attracting
any new developers to the project. I appreciate what is done here by
putting a concrete proposal with proof of concept code, but if few
more developers are not involved during the core design it would turn
up same as compiz core, most people including many plugin devs have no
idea how it works.

I will also echo concern of maintainability, DavidR has fallen off the
map and has not worked on compiz head for a very long time,
effectively retiring from compiz development and responsibilities of
fixing existing bugs. There is object framework branch that has not
seen much activity either. Hope compiz++ don't end up like that. This
would be second time we have something stable/usable we would go back
to 0.1, effectively keeping compiz in alpha.

Apart from these issues, if compiz++ is going to make compiz better
quickly and attract more devs to work on core, makes it easy for
plugin devs to maintain their code, I am all for it.

Ciao

Jigish