[compiz] compiz works really strange with external monitor

Kristian Lyngstøl kristian at bohemians.org
Wed Feb 6 03:15:05 PST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 1:35 PM, Danny Baumann <dannybaumann at web.de> wrote:
> > However, I believe it makes sense for Compiz to have an
> > option to ignore outputs that are completely overlapped by
> > larger outputs, as this makes a lot of sense. It also
> > shouldn't be too hard to implement.
>
> Should this really be an option? I mean, there's already the possibility to
> manually force the outputs by simply disabling "Detect outputs" and
> specifying them manually for circumventing such strange Xinerama
> information.

Hmm, a valid point. This then turns into a front-end issue because
(excuse the generalization) no-one is able to figure out the output
configuration except developers and the like.

I guess I could do something about this in compiz-manager, but it's
not really a good idea to have compiz-manager change compiz options,
besides, it would then have to know how.

Maybe this is a little hack that's suitable for the workarounds
plugin? It's far easier to deal with this from inside compiz than
outside, and I don't think we should underestimate the severity of the
issue or how difficult it is to figure out the solution for most
users.

The workarounds plugin could simply check the outputs after they
change or on load, and do the dirty deed. Of course, I am not sure
it's a good idea for a plugin to change core options either, but I
believe the right course of action is to automate this at some level.

- Kristian