[compiz] color management spec

Danny Baumann dannybaumann at web.de
Tue Jun 10 05:14:50 PDT 2008

Hi,

> Am 30.05.08, 14:32 +0200 schrieb Rémi Cardona:
> > Tomas Carnecky a écrit :
> > > Dennis Kasprzyk (compiz developer) wasn't happy that I want to
> > > attach properties to subwindows, instead he suggested to attach a
> > > list to the top-level window containing tuples of
> [(sub)window XID /
> > > Profile]. But I'd like to keep the properties on the
> subwindows, I
> > > think that will make it easier for toolkits. In GTK+ for example,
> > > widgets that create their own subwindow will be able to
> do the color
> > > management completely independent of the other widgets. If all
> > > profiles are kept in the top-level window then the widgets first
> > > have to find the top-level window and then coordinate
> with other widgets how to create the list.
> > > I'd like to hear other opinions on that.
> >
> > Qt 4.4 no longer uses sub-windows. I'd say that more or
> less validates
> > the "subregion/profile attached to the top-level window" approach.
>
> Can you support both, the subwindow ID's and, as fallback,
> the regions inside the top level window?

I strongly dislike supporting subwindow ID/profile tuples. The task of
window and compositing managers is and always has been to manage and draw
_toplevel_ windows, not subwindows. I don't really think that adding a
subwindow management infrastructure to compositing managers just for saving
some lines of code in the toolkit (and not even all of them) is an overly
good idea.

Regards,

Danny