[compiz] color management spec

Danny Baumann dannybaumann at web.de
Tue Jun 10 05:29:08 PDT 2008

Hi,

> > I strongly dislike supporting subwindow ID/profile tuples.
> The task of
> > window and compositing managers is and always has been to
> manage and
> > draw _toplevel_ windows, not subwindows. I don't really think that
> > adding a subwindow management infrastructure to compositing
> managers
> > just for saving some lines of code in the toolkit (and not
> even all of
> > them) is an overly good idea.
>
> It's not just for 'saving some lines of code in the toolkit'.
> Color management would require significantly more code in the
> toolkit and would most likely be slower then if it is done in
> the compositing manager.

I was just talking about "communicate using subwindow id/profile tuples" vs.
"communicate using toplevel window region/profile tuples". The former would
save a bit of code in the toolkit, but would complicate compositing managers
significantly; which is why I strongly prefer the latter.

I wasn't talking about color management in the CM in general :)

Regards,

Danny