[compiz] Howto uninstall compiz from Kubuntu

Phlip phlip2005 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 08:17:28 PDT 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I see. You can put program and file shortcuts on a KDE panel, you
> know. I have one that pops up when the mouse meets the lower right
> screen corner and disappears after 3 seconds.

"Lazy mouse" is an obsolete and broken PARC concept from the Dawn of Windows.
It's where you skate the mouse, don't click, and the keyboard focus jumps to the
window under the mouse - sometimes without raising it.

There are just so many reasons this is wrong. One of them is <Alt+Tab> might
_not_ change the keyboard focus, if the mouse cursor were in the "wrong" place.
Most GUIs since the PARC research have not used lazy mouse.

In general, I needed a compiz configuration with this magic:

  - change not one of my usabilities
  - do the eyecandy!!
  - provide a View that lets me incrementally add the new usabilities,
      one at a time

Compiz also had a terminal conflict with cairo-dock, but I ain't gonna write
that one up!

> I prefer to seperate my metakeys by application level. My apps
> (firefox, open office) uses the Ctrl key, KDE uses the Alt key, and
> Compiz uses the Tux key. Why don't you want to use the *nix shortcuts?

Very simply so I don't have to spend time researching what they are. I need you
to imagine I am some student of computing, who has installed Ubuntu for the very
first time. I know the Windows keystrokes, so (for example) I select the
installer's "Windows shortcuts" settings.

I am no student, and I use custom keystrokes all the time. (Just yesterday I
wrote a script to delete the currently playing XMMS song.) Like you, I need the
keystrokes to work together in coherent patterns. But I am not a compulsive
configurer, either...

tx: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/241923
     https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/241925

--