[compiz] Bewildered by Radeon x1650 Card - No Compiz, Blank glxgears, good frame rates?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Sep 18 11:32:40 PDT 2008

Listmates,

	No response from the suse list, so I am trying here. I bought a new HIS Radeon
x1650 card for my daughter's computer, and I cannot get the card to work with
compiz. I thought I knew the fglrx driver pretty well, but I am stumped here.
The card has 512M of Ram and sits in the AGP slot of an MSI KM2M board running
openSuSE 11.0/KDE 3.59 and compiz-0.7.6-16.1. All bios setting are correct.

	The 1650 replaced a 9600 card in the same box so the Catalyst 8-8 driver was
already installed and compiz and mplayer had been working fine. After
installing the x1650 card, kde runs fine, but glxgears is blank (no gears, just
a black window, but good frame rates in the console). The same blank window
occurs with mplayer and with compiz, the entire display goes blank (no
screenshot of that):

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/linux/ati/x1650_err/no_glxgears.jpg
http://www.3111skyline.com/download/linux/ati/x1650_err/no_mplayer.jpg

	I have done just about everything I can think of with xorg.conf and I updated
/etc/ati/amdpcsdb with the changes (aticonfig --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf)
trying tls on/off (--tls=1)(--tls=0) and I have tried removing all xorg.conf
"Device" section "Options" and adding them back one at a time (restarting x in
between) but still I get blank glxgears, mplayer and compiz is blank as well. I
have tried with and without the Extensions enabled (composite and damage) and
with and without AIGLX enabled. No change.

	When I say compiz is blank, I mean I'll start compiz and then the entire
screen goes blank/black. Typing in the blind (alt+f2 'kwin --replace &' tab tab
return) restores kwin without a problem showing that compiz was running.

	I cannot find anything wrong with my config, but I cannot explain the blank
compiz, glxgears or mplayer. The complete config and log details are:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/linux/ati/x1650_err/xorg.conf
http://www.3111skyline.com/download/linux/ati/x1650_err/amdpcsdb
http://www.3111skyline.com/download/linux/ati/x1650_err/Xorg.0.log
http://www.3111skyline.com/download/linux/ati/x1650_err/glxinfo.out

	This has got to be a configuration problem, doesn't it? I thought I knew this
stuff. Could this be hardware? Seems unlikely because the box is dual-boot with
XP and everything seems fine with the XP Catalyst 8-8 driver.

	Anyway, I'm stuck and I thought I would turn to you guys hoping to find a perl
of wisdom to get me unstuck. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC