[compiz] Command binding handling in compiz core

Danny Baumann dannybaumann at web.de
Tue Feb 3 05:59:15 PST 2009

Hi,

currently, we have a bunch of stuff in compiz core that is entirely
Gnome specific, though it's designed to be general. What I mean is
- arbitrary command bindings
- terminal and screenshot command bindings
- "main menu" and "run dialog" toolkit actions

Neither of those is handled by the window manager outside of Gnome.

Hence I propose doing the following:

- Add a "commands" plugin
Handling of arbitrary command bindings should be moved from core to this
plugin. Also, button and edge bindings for arbitrary commands as
requested by a number of people can easily be added to such a plugin
without bloating core option count.

- Add a "gnomecompat" plugin
This plugin should receive the terminal and screenshot command bindings
as well as the "main menu" and "run dialog" action handling.

- Remove "main menu" and "run dialog" toolkit action code from
decorators and core completely.

Any thoughts/opinions/objections? If there are no objections, I'll just
go ahead implementing the outlined proposal ASAP.

Regards,

Danny