[compiz] Coding standard

Erkin Bahceci erkinbah at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 22:14:14 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Dennis Kasprzyk
<onestone at compiz-fusion.org> wrote:
> In compiz++ I've made few little changes that do not follow the our previous
> coding style:
> - allow variable definition in "for" loops:
> for (int i = 0; i < foo; i++)
> In the "C" version of compiz we've tried to follow the C89 rules, but this
> is not necessary anymore and should improve readability.
> - define variables not at the top of a function:
> For references we have to define a variable at the point where it gets
> initialised. I would like the keep the "define the variables at the top of a
> function" style, but we should allow "in body" variable definition, at
> places where it improves readability of the code.
> - indent "case" statements inside of "switch" statements:
> in the "C" version of compiz we aligned the case statements at the same
> level like its switch statement:
> switch (foo)
> {
> case foo1:
> break;
> case foo2
> break;
> }
>
> I think that indenting the "case" statement is a better style here:
> switch (foo)
> {
> case foo1:
> break;
> case foo2:
> break;
> }
>
> Another style rule that I would like to add to our coding style is to
> provide a consistent system to mark differences between function local
> variables, function parameters, class member variables and global variables.
> I have already two possible solutions here:
> Solution 1:
> postfix member and global variables with a "_"
> prefix function parameter with a "_"
>
> Solution 2:
> prefix member variable with "m_"
> prefix global variables with "g_"
>
> For my diploma thesis I'm currently working on a C++ tool that already uses
> the first rule, and I've realized that it really improves readability of the
> code, because it's pretty clear where a variable is coming from. I would
> really like to get the opinions and solutions of other developers here.
>
> Dennis

I really like the naming conventions here:
http://geosoft.no/development/cppstyle.html#Naming%20Conventions

Namely:
-  _ suffix for private member variables.
-  No prefix/suffix for function parameters or local variables.
-  :: operator when referring to global variables (which should really
be avoided).
IMHO, these should make variable scope clear enough while keeping max.
readability.

What about comments? Should we adopt a doxygen-friendly comment style
while we're at it?

- Erkin