[compiz] [RFC] Draft for a compositing manager specification

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Sun Aug 15 05:57:28 PDT 2010

Resending as kwin and plasma mailinglists think that 200k is too large for a
mail. The "attachment" can be found in [2]

Hi,

Pleas note: crossposting to kwin, compiz and plasma development lists. Please
keep all lists CCed.

Attached you can find a very first draft for a compositing manager
specification. It is currently based upon the KWin/Plasma interaction
specified in the windoweffects namespace[1]. I basically just renamed all _KDE
prefixes to _NET_CM.

I want that in the end this becomes a new freedesktop.org specification to be
used in addition to the EWMH specification. As I am not sure if all composited
window managers are interested in such a specification I decided to discuss
this idea first with kwin, compiz (as they implement our proprietary hints)
and plasma, our most important stakeholder. The result of the discussion
should be proposed as a joint draft from both compiz and kwin to
freedesktop.org. I consider each and every of those hints as optional. So a
window manager implementing none of the hints would be fully compliant.

Even if the attached draft is tainted to the current KWin naming and hints, it
does not mean that this has to become the standard. I am very open to do
changes to our code and also implement hints specified by compiz or other
window managers.

I am aware that normally specifications are written in docbook. Unfortunately
I don't know docbook at all, but I know LaTeX therefore I wrote the draft in
LaTeX. Attached you find the tex document and a compiled pdf.

If someone has an idea how to collaborate on the document, please tell me. My
only idea so far is to setup a special repository on gitorious.

Looking forward to your comments.

Regards
Martin Gräßlin

[1]
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/plasma/windoweffects.cpp?view=markup
and http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/plasma/windoweffects.h?view=markup
[2] http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/wp-
content/uploads/2010/08/compositing.pdf.tar.gz