[compiz] Accessibility of Cairo/OpenGL text: ATK without GTK?

Stephen M. Webb stephen.webb at canonical.com
Mon Apr 13 06:25:55 PDT 2015

On 15-04-13 09:05 AM, Luca Saiu wrote:

> While playing with Compiz window switchers (there are several) I noticed
> that the selected window name is displayed but not vocalized by the
> screen reader.
>
> I was initially surprised after discovering that the window title is not
> drawn with GTK; but I understand that Compiz itself does not actually
> depend on GTK --- only the GTK window decorator and CCSM use it.  So
> Compiz renders text using Cairo on top of an OpenGL surface, which is
> all very reasonable.
>
> In this situation, what's the cleanest way of making the selected window
> title accessible?  Is there an easy way of using ATK without making a
> GTK label just for the purpose, or should I try some other route?

I'm not sure if we want to start dragging all kinds of external dependencies into many generic plugins, especially
massive foreign libraries like those from the Glib family (eg. ATK).  The preferred option would be to provide a
separate plugin that performs the TTS as appropriate, and that plugin can pull in whatever evil necessities it wants.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen.webb at canonical.com>