[ConsoleKit] Feature request: Specify SeatID

Jörg Barfurth Joerg.Barfurth at Sun.COM
Wed Aug 19 00:23:05 PDT 2009

Ray Strode schrieb:

>> For static seats
>> ----------------
>> We can add a filed 'ID' in .seat file. If the value is not null,
>> ConsoleKit create seats with the given ID as desired. Otherwise,
>> ConsoleKit decides SeatID as before.
>>
>> For dynamic seats through ck-seat-tool.
>> ------------------
>> If --seat-id=SEAT_ID is given and this seat is existing, a new session
>> will be append on that seat.
>> If --seat-id=SEAT_ID is given but this seat is not existing, a new seat
>> with given seat id created, and a new session append on that seat.
>> If --seat-id=SEAT_ID is not given, a new seat with generated seat id
>> (Seat#) will be created, and a new session append on that seat.
>>
>> Any comments?
> Sounds fine.

What are the naming rules here?

1. Obviously "Seat<N>" names are used and assigned by ConsoleKit itself.
But what happens when there are existing seats using the same names?
When I explicitly configure or create 'Seat9', will dynamic seat
generation skip that ID?

2. Can  specify any object path as seat ID or must they be relative (and
will be prefixed with "/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/"?

On that occasion: should the seat and session object path namespace be
better separated by having the IDs be like
    /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/seats/Seat1
    /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/sessions/Session1
or even
    /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/seats/1
    /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/sessions/1
instead of
   /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Seat1
   /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1
to prevent namespace issues?

3. What ways does layered software have to namespace its seats? Can I
specify relative object pathes for grouping (e.g. AcmeConsole/id/123456)?

- Jörg

--
Joerg Barfurth
Software Engineer        mailto:joerg.barfurth at sun.com