[ConsoleKit] USB seats & ConsoleKit

Bernie Thompson bernie at plugable.com
Mon Oct 5 17:43:36 PDT 2009

Thanks Brian.

How will the additional changes needed to implement the proposal require
> changing the interfaces?  When you say that Halton's work is in the
> right direction, could you explain what you mean?  Do you feel that
> there is a lot of rework required before MultiSeat can be integrated
> into ConsoleKit?

My general impression of the new ConsoleKit is the basic design is clean and
the mechanisms are falling in place (e.g. to pass a seat ID to X, it's just
a matter of $seat_id as a substitution that can be used in a .display file).

In general, the usb seat case just appears to be a good example for the
dynamic seat paths.  But I don't understand the details well enough to know
where the ruts in the road might be. And there are some unanswered questions
(which script will call ck-seat-tool --add for the usb case, and when?).

> I would think ConsoleKit could be released in a phased manner where
> first MultiSeat is added, and then in a follow-up release the device
> management code is added?

Definitely. And there are simple pieces here which can be rolled out in
parallel, too.

> For reference, the design documents for the MultiSeat work is here[1].
> I am not sure if genunix is a good place for collaboration on the GDM
> project.  Might be good to move this to live.gnome.org/GDM and work
> on improving the design document to describe the impact of this
> proposal.

Would be happy to edit into any place that works for others. Perhaps if
there's general agreement on the level of detail here, we can go ahead and
move it to that wiki?

> Brian
>
> [1]
>
> http://wiki.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/design_for_newgdm_consolekit_multiseat_multidisplay