[ConsoleKit] extend ConsoleKit to support fast reboot on OpenSolaris x86

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Sep 9 07:03:40 PDT 2009

On Wed, 09.09.09 09:51, David Zeuthen (zeuthen at gmail.com) wrote:

> > I am working on adding fast reboot support for the restart dialog. In
> > order to accomplish this and because ConsoleKit provide the
> > functionality to reboot a system, I think ConsoleKit should be extended
> > to support fast reboot. Our plan is to:
> >
> > 1) add a checkbox to the restart dialog which indicating to do a fast
> > reboot or a normal reboot.
> >
> > 2) add a list of radio buttons with every radio button representing a
> > boot environment.
>
> If 'fast reboot' is available, why would I even want slow (e.g.
> 'normal reboot')?

Because a hardware reset is still a hardware reset. Just rebooting the
kernel does not reinitialize the hardware.

> (Yes, I'm playing the devils advocate here)

BTW, we have this on Linux too, and had it for quite some time. There
is "kexec" which allows a Linux kernel execute another Linux
kernel. IIRC on Debian if you install a 'kexec' package the 'reboot'
call is actually turned into a 'fast reboot'.

Maybe this is something we want to support in CK for Linux, too? Would
certainly be nice if after a pkgkit upgrade we could be a bit
quicker in bringing the system back up.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net