[ConsoleKit] extend ConsoleKit to support fast reboot on OpenSolaris x86

Brian Cameron Brian.Cameron at Sun.COM
Wed Sep 9 08:09:10 PDT 2009

David:

> Why would some user of CK (e.g. a program) ever want select the slow method?
>
> I think the point I was trying to make is that you only want 'slow' if
> you are trying to debug some oddball problem. Or if your hardware
> broken (in which case you edit a configuration file that reboot(8)
> will read so it always select 'slow').

I am not sure how fast/slow reboot works on Linux, but on Solaris they
work as follows:

- Fast reboot does not actually reboot the machine, it just reboots the
   Solaris kernel.  So if you have a multi-OS machine, you do not go back
   to the GRUB menu to select a different OS to boot into.  This reboot
   is much faster than a slow reboot.
- Slow reboot reboots the machine so you go back to the GRUB menu so
   you can select a different OS to boot into.

I'd say about 75% of the time I want a fast reboot because I just want
to reboot my machine into my Solaris kernel and I want it to be fast.

However, there are plenty of times that I also want to reboot into a
different OS on my machine.  Without having the choice, I'd have to
shut down, and then power up my machine to get back to the GRUB menu,
which is annoying.  Personally, I would prefer to be able to choose in
the GUI.

Brian