[ConsoleKit] Active VT tracking can fail at startup

Leen Besselink consolekit at consolejunkie.net
Mon Aug 23 15:30:14 PDT 2010

Hi folks,

The last few days I've been trying to fix an issue with consolekit which
I noticed when I did an upgrade (clean install) of Ubuntu on a laptop I
had lying around.

It doesn't seem to be Ubuntu specific though.

The issue seems, to me atleast, that when consolekit starts up, it grabs
the console_fd so it can do it can start the threads and do the ioctl
for VT_WAITACTIVE for each vt.

Then I think the kernel does a mode change (kernel mode setting) of the
console and when consolekit wants to start the threads and use the
console_fd it isn't valid anymore and fails.

I had a look and have a small test (read:hack) which seems to fix it.

But I want to create a proper fix to get it upstream. I checked the
anon-git on freedesktop.org and judging by that code the bug also exists
in that repository. Actually found that Ubuntu's version is pretty up to
date even has some backports from git.

Is there anyone here willing to discuss a proper fix for this problem ?

I'm willing to do the coding, although I've not done C in ages and don't
know consolekit very well, I just want to know how you want it to be
fixed (proper).

Have a nice day,
    Leen Besselink.