[CREATE] shared resources spec

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Oct 6 11:43:31 PDT 2005

Am 06.10.05, 09:59 -0700 schrieb Bryce Harrington:

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:48:02AM -0700, Jon Phillips wrote:
> > Art tends to place a value upon what type of standards we are
> > consolidating. Hence, when coming up with the ideas for the Create
> > Project we batted around different concerns and settled on the concept
> > that this is to be space for creative application developers to work on
> > shared "things" together.
> >
> > Thus, art tends to be a little too specific, yet media is a general term
> > to describe what the various creative applications use and operate on.
> > Plus, the various swatches, clip art, possibly samples, video loops etc
> > seem more general than art, which infers some type of high or low brow
> > cultural value we are adding to the standard UNIX path system
> >
> > Thus, I'm still fully pushing for media.
> >
> > Yes, I understand that udev and hal use media now for mounting, but
> > still, I think media is the most general for our needs. However, second
> > choice would be to use: create or creative
> >
> > I prefer:
> >
> > /usr/share/media/clipart
> > /usr/share/media/samples
> > /usr/share/media/swatches
>
> Agreed.  People don't get the 'media' in 'multimedia' mixed up thinking

The root directory of many distros shows the term is allready occupied
with usb, cdrom, dvd and so on. Media means transportations in
the heads. With this background media is ambigous. It is further ambigous
to things like gradients and swatches, like arts as well.

Maybe an other term would be better at all.

Thanks Bryce, you make this evident to me.

> about CD's and back up drives.  'art' would make me think that it
> contains only images.  'supplies' would make me think of janitorial
> supplies.  ;-)
>
> Bryce

art_patches / media_patches

snippets