[CREATE] Release Timetable

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Oct 19 11:58:03 PDT 2005

Am 14.10.05, 22:13 +0200 schrieb Craig Bradney:

> On Friday 14 October 2005 16:39, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > Sorry for being silent. Internet connection at my new apartment will
> > appear only tomorrow and I don't have much time for reading gmail at
> > work :(

> > Please don't duplicate. Let's have a release first :)

> > Yes, 0.1.0 would be better.
> >
> > Roadmap needs updates. We actually need agreeement of following topics:
> >
> > 1. The name or root directory. Should we simply count pro/contra
> > voices for each?
> >
> > 2. Which exactly resources do we package? E.g. there are at least 4
> > color swatches files that are not included anywhere: Ubuntu palette,
> > KDE palette, GNOME HIG palette and the newest shiny Tango palette.
> >
> > We need a reasonable decision about Cinepaint/GIMP similar resources
> > withe their bit depth difference (sorry about bringing this
> > potentially flaming topic back to life).

CinePaint has some naming sheme for the brushes:
some_brush_name_16.gbr - 16-bit integer
some_brush_name_f16.gbr - 16-bit float

This would make it easy to exclude such brushes. Is it correct that
noone is going to use them outside Cinepaint itself?

> > I'm about to have plenty of spare time this weekend to sit down and
> > merge available resources into one root directory with some sexy
> > placeholder name and upload it for you :) Anyone, jbjections?
>
> Unless its changed, Scribus includes the Gnome one. Either you indicate the
> depth of the colours in the file (which breaks the "dumb list of data" idea
> that the current palette files follow) , or split it by directory.
>
> > 3. How we package release. I suggest packaging a tar.bz2 with a signature.
> >
> > 4. How we let packagers from FC/SuSE/Mandrake/Gentoo/Debian/Ubuntu
> > etc. know about release.
> >
> > 5. Whether we upload their packages as well.

> > Both scons and makefile w/o autocrap is fine with me. Anyone, objections?
>
> Either is fine for me, as long as autotools as avoided :)
> >
> > 6. Who will create Windows installer?
> >
> > > Yeah, does anyone want to build a Makefile to pull together our specs
> > > (please beat me to it). I don't see any reason for using autotools, as
> > > we are not really building cross-platform code, bur rather shared media
> > > and standards.
> > >
> > > Maybe we should have:
> > >
> > > /usr/share/XXXX/standards or
> > >
> > > /usr/share/XXXX/specs or
> > >
> > > /usr/share/XXXX/docs
> >
> > /usr/share/docs/XXXX-$VERSION
>
> Why do we app programmers have to hack around versions? Just nuke the old
> stuff and move on..

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management