[CREATE] Due Dilligence: licensing of the GIMP gradients?

Nicu Buculei nicu at nicubunu.ro
Tue Sep 13 06:45:25 PDT 2005

Alan Horkan wrote:
> I noticed a bit of proprietary software which looked as if it was using
> gradients taken from the GIMP and converted to SVG.  Before accusing
> anyone of anything I wondered if this might actually be entirely
> reasonable given that users implicitly need this entitlement if they are
> to incorporate any of the gradients or other resources into their work
> without any copyright issues.  On thinking about it futher the way KOffice
> uses Gimp Gradients they could very easily find themselves in themselves
> in the same situation (which is why the koffice list is CC'ed this
> message).

The gradient files are simple enumeration of basic data, position and
color values, someone can copy them by opening the GIMP gradient editor
and noting the values on paper and then form paper in a text editor, so
I don't think such things should be covered by copyright.

I know Pantone colors are heavily protected by copyright/trademark, but
this does not means this is the right thing to do also with GIMP gradients.

--
nicu