[CREATE] plug-ins

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 15:55:00 PDT 2006

Hi,

There was a discussion recently on inkscape-devel@ about having open
source plug-ins like Photoshop's ones - that could be supported by
multiple applications.

We already have KIPI plug-ins in KDE that are supported by several
applications, so I have a couple of questions:

1. How exactly many developers like the idea of having uniform API for plug-ins?

2. How KDE dependent are these plug-ins? Do they provide "logic" and
their UI can be drawn in any host, be it Gtk based or Qt/KDE based
host - like DSSI plug-ins do (audio/midi plug-ins based on LADSPA), or
are they strictly for KDE hosts?

3. Is it possible to use same plug-ins (not all, though) for both
bitmap and vector graphics?

4. Is it possible at all to create a uniform API for plug-ins that
could work e.g. in both Krita and GIMP (and with GIMP I mean upcoming
GEGL-based GIMP) with regard to color management, bit depth (8/16/32
floating point per channel), color spaces etc?

I believe that having uniform plug-ins API would nicely complement
Multilayered bitmap graphics format and non-destructive processing
workflow.

Alexandre