[CREATE] OpenRaster page

Øyvind Kolås pippin at gimp.org
Thu Aug 10 06:00:22 PDT 2006

On 8/10/06, Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/10/06, Jon Phillips wrote:
> I'd like to elaborate on e). We can't design a flawless new file
> format just theoretically, because as soon as we start implementing
> support for it, we shall struggle with all kinds of issues. And we
> clearly don't want revisions of specifications submitted to OASIS,
> don't we? :) This is why we need some (or two) applications as a
> testbed. Right now feature-wise Krita (trunk) and Cinepaint are close
> to being such testbeds. GIMP needs integration of GEGL first.

GEGL doesn't need integration into GIMP to be used as a testbed, in I
am already using it as a testbed to develop my ideas for how to
implement a layer tree structure. The GEGL gallery[1]  are examples
that are composited from XML as part of the documentation when
building current GEGL CVS. Right now I'm working on a minimal
compositing editor (a GTK+ based tree view similar to the one I had in
bauxite[2] for editing the structure, but at least not initially
painting.)

When that is working, I'll start a second iteration of documenting the
abilities this way of dealing with it provides. As well as ponder
whether any of the features lost on the way from oxide[3]/the XCF2[4]
proposal are too large losses. (mainly features related to
animation/keyframing of properties and combination of compositions
into timelines for NLE use).

/Øyvind K.

1: http://pippin.gimp.org/gegl/gallery/
2: http://pippin.gimp.org/bauxite/