[CREATE] OpenRaster

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 05:47:31 PDT 2006

On 6/20/06, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> I've finally found the time to finish the initial discussion document on the
> proposed OpenRaster specification initiative. Please find it enclosed -- it's
> not as extensive and solid as I had wanted, but it's better than waiting
> until I get more time to work on it before mailing it to y'all.
>
> After discussion on this list, I'll update the wiki -- and I hope that we can
> soon start to discuss detail issues, instead of the big picture.

I've just finished reading the draft and I'd like to comment on some theses.

1. Adjustment layers. I don't see how it would be possible to support
growing amount of filters, especially since amount of controllers in
each one may change in the future (consider greycstoration of
excellent focus blur plug-ins for GIMP). I would start with basic set
of adjustment layers:

- Color balance (as in GIMP)
- Hue/Saturation
- Lightness/Contrast
- Levels
- Curves
- Channel mixer
- White balance
- Colorize
- Desaturate
- Gaussian blur
- Unsharp mask

I take the white balance one as purely RAW related adjustment for
future tight integration with RAW converters that save changes as
descriptions in file wildcards.

What other basic adjustment layers would you suggest?

2. Text layers. IIRC, text part of OpenDocument is inherited from
XSL-FO which is good enough, so I agree on full inhertiage from ODF.

4. Path layers. Do we want path layers be optionally clipping paths?
This is a very important feature.

5. Layers and color management. Do we want optional ICC-profiles per layer?

Alexandre