[CREATE] OpenRaster

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Tue Jun 20 20:42:09 PDT 2006

At 02:42 PM 6/20/2006, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>After discussion on this list, I'll update the wiki -- and I hope that we can
>soon start to discuss detail issues, instead of the big picture.

         Let me start by thanking Boudewijn for putting this together
as a starting point for discussion...and I'll also be glad to start
the ball rolling with a few comments.  These are not in any particular order.

* Metadata should be stored as XMP.  It's XML-based and the current
industry standard for metadata in images & compound documents.

* All binary data should be stored as a separate file in the archive
and referenced from an XML "manifest".  There should be NO Base64
encoded data in any XML.

* Any hierarchical arrangements should be described in XML and not
using the "fake directories" of ZIP/Tar. However, common naming
conventions for files/paths should be established.

* Image data should be stored in either PNG or "raw bits" - lossless
formats that are easy to access.  PNG should be used for any data
that which is compatible with it, and "raw bits" for anything that is
not (eg. CMYK or Lab data, floating point, etc.)

* I would use SVG Tiny/Basic for handling both Paths and Text.  I
think supporting the full ODF grammar for text layers is simply
overkill for this - and will tend to keep many implementers
away.  SVG 1.1/1.2 provide, IMO, all the text and path features you
should need.

Leonard