[CREATE] Hello from Audacity

Dominic Mazzoni dominic at audacityteam.org
Sun Mar 12 23:14:06 PST 2006

Hello,

This is Dominic - I'm the project leader of Audacity.  I met Kees Cook
last week and he invited me to check out the Create Project.

I'm always happy to foster more connections between Audacity and other
open-source projects.  Please let me know any ways you think that other
projects could benefit from Audacity, or conversely how you think
Audacity might be able to benefit from other projects.

One reason that Audacity has in the past resisted suggestions that we
coordinate with other free software projects on things like icons is
that the large majority of other free software projects seem to be
Linux-focused.  Along those lines, they tend to create Linux-centric
UIs, conforming maybe to GNOME or KDE - but they don't work well on the
Mac or Windows.  Now, Audacity is very popular on Linux, especially
among our developers - but we take pride in the fact that Audacity looks
and feels very much like a native application on Windows and Mac OS X.
To be specific, the icons and stuff that work on Linux just don't work
on the Mac or on Windows XP.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

Regards,
Dominic