[CREATE] Hello from Audacity

Jon A. Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Wed Mar 15 00:18:57 PST 2006

On Mar 13, 2006, at 2:25 AM, Dominic Mazzoni wrote:

> Anyway, I'm not dismissing the possibility of common ground.  I'm
> just concerned that many existing projects fail to take into
> account the look and feel of Windows and Mac applications and how
> to design programs that conform to those.

Well, at least for Inkscape I can say that this is kept in mind.
Personally I am currently doing all my Inkscape development on a Mac.
And I also happen to use it to work on Win32 issues (using cross-
compile gcc and Qemu).

The OS X work on GTK+ is *very* interesting, especially with the
aggressive timeframe that it seems to be targeting. Also... Inkscape
is looking at some internal UI re-work that might make it easier to
get Mac-style menus sooner than base GTK+ (there are some tricky
issues for stock GTK+ and OS X menus).

The general consensus for Inkscape developers seems to be keeping a
very strong focus on a usable application that works anywhere. Trying
to keep Windows and OS X as first class citizens is a strong
consideration, with the main failing being that while more of our
users are on Windows, very few of our developers are. So if things
aren't quite as solid, its usually due to limited developer
resources, not lack of concern or priority.