[CREATE] raw processing

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Mar 15 08:48:24 PST 2006

Why is David Coffin not included in this discussion?

For CinePaint, we would stay with the good support of Dave. Currently we
have less problems with dcraw. Some add ons would be fine, but
currently nothing, which is not possible with dcraw.

What would libopenraw provide? reading ...
ok, thumbnail access and extracting of metadata.
How is its relation to www.openraw.org ? Is the name clash a decission?
Will it adress the requirements of photographers stated at openraw.org?

Adobe is in critique for its raw2dng converter, because of a serious
reasons - data loss, avoiding a well defined format by backdoors,
incomplete specification ...
DNG writing is a sensible matter and chances are good to make many things
worse compared to the original RAW.

Does standardisation really cope with the complex options arround the DNG
format? In other words will every application handle a complex options
file the same way? Or would it be more easier and relyable to export from
one application into say PNG or TIFF and proceede from there?

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas