[CREATE] Open File Format for Raster/Bitmaps Graphics

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Mon Mar 20 23:58:28 PST 2006

> And let me remind others that there is an initial list of
> requirements:
> http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/index.php/General_multilayered_bitmap_ex
>change_format

Ok nice, I will add a few items here :

# General
- extensible, but private undocumented extensions should be exclude, any
extension should be added to the spec and documentation of the file format
- it should be clear that applications aren't expected to support all features
of the file format, but when manipulating the file they shouldn't lose any
information they can't handle

# Layers
- color information : profile, colorspace
- embedding document (SVG, or anything else)

# Likely Problems
- a major problem is that because all features aren't available any all the
programs, image won't be displayed the same way in different applications,
especially for adjustement/filters layers. And "viewer" apps like inkscape or
scribus won't have any implementation at all of those features

> It would be great, however, if we had discussion in the mailing list
> in the first place, and not silent edits in wiki ;-)
I do agree, the wiki will be a good place for storing information after the
discutions.

--
--- Cyrille Berger ---